On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:12:43 -0700
Dave Meetchum <yancy7...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use OpenSSL on iOS and Android in conjunction with
> libcurl for my applications HTTP interface. From what I understand
> OpenSSL does not come with a CA cert which is understandable. Also my
> understanding is that if you need a CA cert on the client to verify
> the server is who they claim to be.

No.  The client browser checks the certificate you register with
openssl (which is public, but may have a private key); this is done as
part of the preliminary negotiation. You do not need to provide the
client with its own certificate or do anything other than:

1) create or obtain a certificate.
2) pass ssl the .crt file and the private key, eg. via
SSL_CTX_use_certificate_file() and SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file() during
initialization of the server.

After that you don't need to do anything.

You can create your own "self-signed" certificate (these trigger a
warning in the client user agent and the user must accept an
"untrusted" connection), or obtain one, usually for a fee from a
trusted certificate authority.  It does not have to be mozilla.  There
are also people who provide them for free, eg:

http://cert.startcom.org/

MK

--
"Enthusiasm is not the enemy of the intellect." (said of Irving Howe)
"The angel of history[...]is turned toward the past." (Walter Benjamin)