> The key thing I realized is that the incore script that comes with the FIPS
> Object Module v2.0  tarball
> handles both native AND cross-compile scenarios.

Even though FIPS 2.0 util/incore is capable of handling arbitrary ELF
binary (native or not), it's not used in non-cross-compile/native cases,
as there *are* configurations when it won't work. In other words above
statement does no hold universally true and FIPS 2.0 util/incore script
is supported and should be used only in cross-compile environments
targeting ELF, moreover, not *any* environment, but in explicitly
verified (see below).

> After I had gotten the extra "-f" options from Harvey for this platform
> (BSD-powerpc),

Using -f[data|function]-sections options is inappropriate as they
undermine the idea of "capturing" fipscanister code and rodata between
start/end symbols. It was bad advice/idea, do *not* use those options.

> I learned a lot of interesting things along the way, so aside from time
> spent and the bruised forehead,
> everything is good.

I'm not convinced that it is:-) Just because it appears working it
doesn't necessarily mean it's doing the right thing. Every
cross-compiler has to be explicitly verified, which is why there is no
generic "one-size-fits-all" support for cross-compiling.

> I have now had to add one line to config, Configure,
> and fips_canister.c in the
> FIPS module to get it to work on my target. Oh well.

Keep in mind that it will be counted as validated only as long as you
don't change it.