Using windows I have compiled an tested the fips 2.0 module and it is good.
I then compile and build the fips compatible openssl-1.0.1 with the fips
option and run the built in tests. Every thing is fine. I then add the
openssl-1.0.1\out32dll into my system path.

with 7zip i extract the compressed files
using visual studio command prompt I cd to the openssl-fips-2.0 folder
set fipsdir=c:\fips_dir
set tmp=c:\tmp_dir
ms\do_fips
out32dll\fips_test_suite (passes)
then cd to openssl-1.0.1 beta2 folder
ms\do_nasm
nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak
nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak test (passes)

The problem here is when I run my application I make a reference to the
libeay32.dll and call FIPS_mode_set(1) and FIPS_mode_set(2) but both return
0. No matter what I seem to do I cannot get a call to FIPS_mode() to return
1. If I call FIPS_mode_set(0) it returns 1. I have also tried calling
OPENSSL_init() and RAND_init_fips() with no luck.

I have read the user guide with no luck:
http://www.openssl.org/docs/fips/UserGuide.pdf

Any advise?