Thanks, Dave, for your reply. Very helpful.

> If this server is getting connections from the client above,
> and that client mistakenly handles WANT_READ by closing or
> even exiting/aborting, the server gets either TCP abort or
> unexpected TCP shutdown (aka EOF), which causes this error.

Errno didn't return much. But this sounds reasonable. Playing with the blocking
settings on the fd seems to help.
Assume that it could be similar for the SSL_ACCEPT? (though WANT_WRITE,
perhaps?)

Interestingly, in a situation where two apps open a number of SSL connections
between each other (over time) I get a deadlock - where a client blocks on the
SSL_Connect, and the server on the general (socketIO) accept. Any hints?

> You are but invisibly; SSL_set_fd() creates a socket-BIO

> internally.

That's fine

> You can actually use socket-BIO, and/or accept-BIO and

> connect-BIO, to do plain TCP connections directly,

To clarify, that's what I'm dong now, right?