On Fri, Apr 13, 2012, Sunjeet Singh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Stupid question-
>
> If I use a HSM to store private key used for SSL connections using the
> CryptoAPI engine for OpenSSL, is all data to be encrypted/decrypted going
> through my HSM? I'm-
>
> 1. Registering my HSM as a Cryptographic Service Provider, and
> 2. Setting my application code to initialize structural and functional
> references to the CAPI engine and bringing up a connection using the private
> key stored in the HSM.
>
> Rest of the code just uses OpenSSL functions like SSL_write() and SSL_read().
>
> Since the key resides on the HSM, is data going to my HSM to get
> encrypted/decrypted, or is there a session key being made on the HSM for each
> SSL session that is being passed to the OS and is the OS
> encrypting/decrypting data in memory?

The CryptoAPI ENGINE only handles private key operations so your HSM is only
used to either decrypt the premaster secret (RSA key exchange ciphersuites) or
used to sign a DH or ECDH public key (ephemeral ciphersuites). The rest is
handled in software using OpenSSLs cryptographic algorithm implementations.

Steve.