On Mon, May 07, 2012, Tammany, Curtis wrote:

> Now have added only the Common Policy CA at the top of the certs file. The
> development site works for both the long chain and short chain users.
>
> I put the cert file out on the production site and the short chain users can
> access the site but the long chain user can't and I saw "FAILED:unhandled
> critical extension" in the log for that user... What is that? What Do I need
> to do to prevent that???
>

> The only difference between the development site other than OS (XP vs. 2003)
> is the version of OpenSSL. On the dev site, I have 1.0.1. On production, I
> have 0.9.8r. When I upgraded OpenSSL on production to 1.0.1 (hoping to
> eliminate the error above), I think I killed the site for all Win 7 boxes. I
> say that because I had been able to access the production site with a test
> Win 7 laptop.
>
> I had to put OpenSSL back to 0.9.8r.

The "unhandled critical extension" is not something you can fix with
configuration. You can see which extension it is by looking at the certificate
details in the wizard: critical extensions have an exclamation mark next to
them.

If this works in 1.0.1 but not 0.9.8 I'm guessing its the name constraints
extension that is the problem which isn't supported in OpenSSL 0.9.8.

Does the production site have any directories of trusted certificates or are
they all in a single file. I ask because the link algorithm changed in OpenSSL
1.0.0 and later and is incompatible with the 0.9.8 version.

Note that you can't just update the DLLs for a new major version of OpenSSL:
the applications will need to be recompiled too.

You could try updating to OpenSSL 1.0.0i instead as the 1.0.1 series of
OpenSSL is very new and there are several reported interop problems.

Steve.