Since there is misinformation on this floating around, even in the
openssl.org FAQ itself, here are the GPL+OpenSSL, and LGPL+OpenSSL
rules:

1. Code under LGPL (any version) can link to OpenSSL with each of
  part (OpenSSL and the code under LGPL) remaining under its own
  license.  LGPL considers OpenSSL as "a program that uses the
  library".  This is why there is no problem linking OpenSSL to
  GNU libc (which is LGPL and/or GPL+general library exception).

2. Code under GPL plus a special exception (from the GPL) to allow
  linking to OpenSSL or other similarly licensed libraries, can
  link against OpenSSL.  Note that all the copyright holders on
  the specific code under GPL must agree to add the exception, and
  they cannot cut/paste code from other GPL projects that don't
  include the exception.

3. Code under GPL version 2 can be linked to OpenSSL only if both
  the following are true:

   A. OpenSSL is included "with the kernel, compiler or other major
     OS component"

   B. The GPL code is NOT included "with the kernel, compiler or
     other major OS component"

  This combination triggers the GPL rule about linking GPL to
  non-open-source libraries that might be part of an OS, such as
  the built in libraries on Windows or AIX.

  The OpenSSL FAQ has (or used to) have this backwards.

4. Code under GPL version 3 may have other options under some
  clauses of the GPL version 3 license, I have not studied this
  closely enough to know this.

(I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, you should read
the original license documents carefully, then ask a real lawyer
if you don't understand them completely).