On Wed, May 30, 2012, Brewster, Scott wrote:

> I am not sure how I should interpret this - do I expand the 0.9.8w tar
> file into the same directory as were I did the openssl-fips?  Do I just
> expand 0.9.8w.tar into its own directory and proceed with the config
> fips, make and make install steps (this is  what I have tried
> previously.  It results in errors when attempting to run openssl to get
> its version)?

The latter: you extract 0.9.8w into a separate directory and do:

./config fips

instead of:

./config

OpenSSL should then pick up and use the validated module you installed before
to generate a so called "FIPS capable OpenSSL" that is a version of OpenSSL
that makes use of the validated module.

If you get errors please give details of what they are.

Steve.