The Doctor wrote:
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 08:45:46AM -0400, bhorow...@vai.net wrote:
Quick question for the group? I am running Apache 2.2.22 with OpenSSL
1.0.1c installed. This machine formerly had 1.0.0d  and I am noticing that
the apache logs are stating that OpenSSL is still at the earlier version.
However when I do an openSSL version command it responds saying I am at
the later release. How do I gracefully correct this situation (Linux Suse
Enterprise server 11)? I thought that if I go through the Apache install
again and point to the OpenSSL version that is installed that this problem
would be solved but I was wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Commands used to install openSSL

./config --prefix=/usr/local/lib/openssl
make
make test
make install

Commands to install apache

./configure --enable-proxy --enable-so --enable-ssl
--with-ssl=/usr/local/lib/openssl  (<-----location of openssl 1.0.1c)
make
make install

Did you recompile your apache with the new openssl?

Hi Bernard,

Perhaps the Doctor is suggesting you may need to to do a make of apache in a totally clean directory. If you have built apache before you installed the new OpenSSL in that directory, then running make in it again will not rebuild and relink your code. So you may need to unpack a totally new apache directory which is possibly safer than using 'make clean'. I say this because if you ran 'configure' in that directory previously it will have done things like create your Makefiles which will probably set the library paths.

Three other things to try:
1. Assuming you are using dynamic libraries, then run strace to see where apache is getting its SSL libraries. You may need to change your library path in the apache startup script. 2. This is probably related to 1, investigate how SELinux sets the user environment, check to see what your system is doing and how this affects library searches for dynamic libraries. 3. If apache uses static libraries (unlikely) and you have built from a clean directory, I suggest you look to see if the old libraries still exist on your system, you may find the build is finding them before your new libraries. You will find this from the "make" output. If this is the case you need to modify your library path for the build, or move (or remove) the other version of OpenSSL before the build. Be careful of the latter case, other code on your system will almost certainly be using the other libraries so removing or even moving them may not be a good idea.

Good Luck,

Jeremy