So, the question remains.  Is this something that can be configured at runtime?

Also, If the server disallows certain protocols, shouldn't its SSL
implementation respond with a negotiation sequence when the client attempts to
use a disallowed protocol?  Is the total lack of response to an SSL1 CLIENT
HELLO surprising, or is that the expected behavior? The server is Apache.