I have a weird case that I cannot properly explain.
Using OpenSSL 1.0.1c for both client and server, I was testing various
combinations of ciphers and protocol version requests.

Basically, the server uses SSLv23_server_method().
The client code uses SSLv23_client_method() and SSL_OP_NO_SSLv2

Then, if I have the following cipher list (which I have used for a long
time)
TLSv1+HIGH:!CAMELLIA:!SSLv2:RC4+MEDIUM:!MD5:!aNULL:!eNULL:@STRENGTH
(same for client and server side)

I always get a SSLv3 connection, regardless what client asks for.

Changing the cipher list to (removing the TLSv1)
HIGH:!CAMELLIA:!SSLv2:RC4+MEDIUM:!MD5:!aNULL:!eNULL:@STRENGTH

I start getting TLS1.2 connections. Question is, in the first case,
why dont I get a TLSv1 connection ? Furthermore, high strength
ciphers from TLSv1 should still be usable for TLS 1.1 and 1.2, so
why dont I get a TLS1.2 connection in the first case ?