After hours of desperately trying to implement some kind of working ocsp
check (using the code from apps/ocsp.c) in the verification callback i
finally gave up and applied Alexander Konyagin's patch (found a new
message from him with updated one) to 1.0.1c sources that i previously
downloaded.

I just placed a call to X509_STORE_set_flags(my_ctx,
X509_V_FLAG_OCSP_CHECK_ALL) before SSL_connect() and everything worked
like a charm!! :-) (strangely, with X509_V_FLAG_OCSP_CHECK my ocsp
responder was never queried - seems like a bug or I haven't catch up
smth). i could even use ocsp without adding AIA extension to my
certificates! (used X509_set_cert_ocsp_opt() for that).

I already e-mailed this guy about
X509_V_FLAG_OCSP_CHECK_ALL/X509_V_FLAG_OCSP_CHECK flag, but he hasn't
replied yet. Do you think that his patch will also work with forthcoming
releases of openssl??