Hi,

there are two open source CA systems I am aware of, although I haven't tried
them out.

I think they can be a good starting point instead of doing everything from
scratch :-)

http://pki.fedoraproject.org/wiki/PKI_Main_Page
http://openca.org/projects.shtml

marco

PS: Adding a Subject line helps...

On Jul 25, 2012, at 19:49 , Ted Byers wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I just subscribed to this list.
>
> I have some familiarity with openssl having used it to generate self
> signed keys for testing secured web applications (on Apache 2.2),
> prior to deployment, at which time my colleagues would buy a server
> certificate from one of the usual CAs, such as GoDaddy.
>
> Now, I am looking to do something a little different.
>
> First, I set up several Linux virtual machines using Oracle's
> VirtualBox (nice product BTW)., and installed Suse on some and Ubuntu
> on others.  On all, I made sure that openssl was installed and up to
> date (at least as far as the repositories for Suse and Ubuntu are
> concerned).  I then went exploring, and in /etc/ssl/ I found a
> configuration file for openssl.  I tried reading it, but the comments
> relied heavily on jargon that most of you take for granted.  But since
> I am just beginning to study this, it might as well have been in
> Swahili for allt he good it did me; and the available documentation is
> a bit too terse for me to be able to use it to fill in the gaps.
>
> I am hoping that one of you kind souls would direct me to a few good
> web resources on which all your jargon is explained/defined, ideally
> in standard English.
>
> I am also hoping that in describing what I want to do, one or more of
> you would point me to good documentation on how to get it done.
>
> Note, Ialthough I am a programmer (using C++, Perl and Javascript -
> mostly Peerl and C++), I am content to use openssl as installed on the
> Linux distros, and don't really want to recompile it unless absolutely
> necessary.
>
> Here is the objective (mostly dealing with client certificates).  As I
> understand it, one can have a CA that handles issuing certificates and
> a RA, or registration authority, that is responsible for verifying the
> identity of the person or corporation that is receiving a certificate;
> and I understand that most commercial 'CA's combine the two functions
> into a single corporate entity.  But,  I want to set up a CA for a
> company, and then set up an RA for each department (so that the
> department managers can worry about verifying the identities of their
> own staff, perhaps in collaboration with their human resources
> department, and selected outsiders (such as preferred customers,
> contractors, suppliers, &c.).  I want to set up a simple, secure
> website that users (intended recipients) access using ccredentials I
> provide, including a single user password.  After login, the user
> would be presented with a series of challenges and the responses would
> be checked against what the user had presented to the RA that passed
> the credials I created to the user (each RA would access the DB
> containing user data through a separate website, in order to enter the
> required data for each person to whom he wants a client certificate
> issued).  Once the identity of the user is verified, the web site
> [...]

Marco Molteni
Technical Leader - Cisco Media Services Interface