On 19-08-2012 15:05, CharlesTSR wrote:

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012, Charles Mills wrote:
<snip>
There is no prompt option but you can use the $ENV syntax to expand an
environment variable and use that on the command line.
Thanks.
I apologize -- I freely admit I have not RTFM. Where IS the top level
documentation for the configuration file? Where is the starting point?

http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/config.html

I am missing some step here. I am running on Windows 7. I say
set VAR_DNS_1 = foo.com
set VAR_DNS_2 = bar.com
Then in the configuration file I say
[ alt_names ]
DNS.1 = $ENV::VAR_DNS_1 # line 224 of the configuration file
DNS.2 = $ENV::VAR_DNS_2
OpenSSL gives me the error
5288:error:0E065068:configuration file routines:STR_COPY:variable has no
value:.\crypto\conf\conf_def.c:618:line 224
What else do I need to do? Thanks much, and apologies for the dumb
questions.

Did you run openssl.exe from the same command prompt where you
typed the SET commands?

Enjoy

Jakob

--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.http://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2730 Herlev, Denmark. Direct +45 31 13 16 10