I'm just trying to understand the SSL protocol -- this is not an alleged bug
or an "issue."

In OpenSSL s_client, or for that matter, in my client test program, an
attempt to use a *client* certificate fails unless I also specify -key or
call SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file().

Why? What role does the private key play with a *client* certificate? My
understanding -- admittedly perhaps flawed -- is that the role of a client
certificate is solely to authenticate the client. Isn't that role complete
with just a CA-signed certificate? There's no encryption based on the client
certificate, right? So what role does the key play? If none, why does
OpenSSL fail without it?

Thanks,
Charles