Sorry for the long delay. I moved and had some holydays afterwards. So I have
been away from work for some time.

Am Mittwoch, 8. August 2012, 00:44:20 schrieben Sie:

Yes, of course. I didn't mentioned them but all certs and keys are included
except for the root-certificate.

> > I tried to connect the server with my new certificate using
> > openssl and it
> > works fine:
> >
> > openssl s_client -connect the.server.net:700 -cert myCert.pem
> > -CApath mycapath
>
> s_client calls use_certificate, not use_certificate_chain,

Okay, this explains the different behaviour.

> to fill out the (client) chain. If not, apparently your servers
> don't need you to send the full chain; it's entirely possible a
> server has intermediate certs in its truststore and uses them.

Well, I have to send the full chain as the server obviously does not have any
intermediate certs in its truststore. Moreover I could fix the problem by
adding the root-certificate to the chain. I expected the root-cert to be
present on the server-side since the server sends a list of accepted CAs. It
doesn't make sense to me though anyway it fixes the problem.

Thanks a lot
     - Alexandra