Thank you for the answer, I think I know now what the problem is:
I'm using the ssleay32 and libeay32 in another project, BUT I forgot to
update that project with the newly added files.
So while the libraries compile nice, the linker doesn't kick in yet, but it
does at the project where I refer to them. That's why I got the error
messages only when compiling (and then linking!) my project referring to
the libs.
I'm working on the update, will write back once I succeeded.