I've never seen it, no.

The first several google hits for SQL server error 17835
strongly suggest that the error might be that the client
"library" (aka driver) isn't *configured* correctly, not
that it doesn't actually support encryption. I would try
to check that first. If you're using one of the several
Microsoft "only and forever solution"s, you'll have to find
the correct instructions for it, or someone who knows it.
I can't help you there (and no one else has chimed in).

If the problem is truly that the client doesn't support it --
and it appears your client would have to be older than about
2005 for that to be the case -- then you need a better client.
If MS, I would stick with it and upgrade -- upgrading existing
product "in place" is one thing MS usually does pretty well.
If you're using some third-party product see if it can be upgraded,
and if not change to something else, like MS  -- or ask to get the
encryption requirement relaxed, although depending on the data
on this server that may not be possible in the current world of
increasing attacks and liability or penalty for breaches.

If for some reason you can't use an MS driver and can't find or
use a third-party driver, and are left to implement it yourself,
you will have to implement TDS *and* SSL. You can use OpenSSL for
the SSL part, but I doubt anyone here can help you for TDS.