Is there specific documentation anywhere for TXT_DB errors?

I'm not a total newbie at this but I am not an expert. I have issued server
certificates before but now I am stuck on a TXT_DB error 2.

serial.txt exists and contains 1C. index.txt exists and contains 17
(decimal) lines.

Unless I am confused the CN I am trying to issue for is unique. A revoke for
the_cn_name.PEM fails. However some of the additional DNS in the certificate
are not unique. Is that a problem? In other words, I am trying to issue
foo.PEM for CN=foo. foo.PEM does not exist and O=foo does not appear in
index.txt. But I am trying to issue the certificate with DNS.2=bar. I may
already have outstanding unrevoked certificates with DNS.2=bar. Is that a
problem?

What should I be looking for that accounts for TXT_DB error 2 in this
situation? Is there authoritative documentation I should be reading?

Thanks much,

Charles