Got it.   thanks very much.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org [mailto:owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org]
On Behalf Of lists
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:01 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org

> We know how to extract the subject and issuer from a cert sent by a peer.
> Can anyone point out where we get started to look into how to extract
> the Organization and organizationalUnit attributes?
> It’s not obvious from the API definitions and I’ve been searching
> the openssl-users archive but I am not finding hits
>that clearly identify this.

Quick and dirty, man x509, look for the -nameopt option and read about the TEXT
OPTIONS.
Look at the corresponding flags in starting from apps/x509.c code: you can
obtain the subject with parts split by \n (line feeds) and that makes easier to
search for \nOU= and alike.
Not the best solution but quick.