From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org
[mailto:owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org] On Behalf Of Dave Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:38 AM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: RE: Wild card SSL; use on multiple Apache servers

Right. Because the CA only verified your control of the domain that it
issued the cert for; if you get a cert for fredsmith.com and could use it on
a server that impersonates www.amazon.com you could steal billions of
dollars from millions of people.

And an added point which is not obvious to some people, it's only
implemented for one level. *.domain.com works for www.domain.com
ftp.domain.com silly.domain.com but NOT www.foo.domain.com . Even though
this wouldn't actually violate the trust constraint in any situation I can
imagine.