Maybe I got something wrong creating the intermediate CA which is supposed to be the 2nd certificate. This is what I did to create the intermediate CA. Maybe I missed something?

Generated Intermediate CA key:

openssl genrsa -out ia.key 4096

Generated Intermediate CA Certificate Request:

openssl req -new -key ia.key -out ia.csr

Processed Intermediate CA request and signed by the CA:

openssl x509 -req -days 1825 -in ia.csr -CA ca.crt -CAkey ca.key -set_serial 01 -out ia.crt

Concatenate the CA and the intermediate CA certificates together:

Root cert:
cat ca.crt > cachain.pem

Int-ca cert:

cat int-ca.crt >> cachain.pem