On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Jakob Bohm <jb-open...@wisemo.com> wrote:
> On 12/31/2012 12:39 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 3:20 PM,  <jb-open...@wisemo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 30-12-2012 21:01, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

>> Configure should test `makeddepend`. If 'makedepend' succeeds, do
>> nothing. If 'makedepend' fails, it should patch the resulting Makefile
>> with "MAKEDEPEND=$(CC) -M' on Apple platforms.
>>
> Did you read my second post from last night (the one about me not trusting
> the "$(CC) -M" option on OS/X?).
Yes. The process is for OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8. It  is not for
older versions of Apple tools chains as you indicated in the earlier
response.

The worse case is: the replacement of 'makedpend` with `$(CC) -M` is
lateral. That is, we traded one broken system for another broken
system without requiring the user to do a thing. No user intervention
is good (during the swap of the known missing 'makedepend').

If that fails, I will point folks to your suggestions (seriously). I
have the link save locally and will provide them with, "Please see
Jakob Bohm's post at ...".

>> That's the behavior I am looking for.  and the Makefile.org are
>> available online for inspection.
>> http://cvs.openssl.org/fileview?f=openssl/Configure&v=1.621.2.37.2.32.2.11
>>
>> http://cvs.openssl.org/fileview?f=openssl/Makefile.org&v=1.295.2.10.2.11.2.3
>>

> I think this is better done by someone who is already familiar with that
> piece of code ("./Configure") and its design/style.
Agreed :)

Jeff