On 1/8/13 9:52 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
That seems like a really odd requirement. Is there any reading on the topic?

man nsswitch.conf

Generally, I prefer static linking in high integrity software. And I
oppose "plug-in" like functionality.

Then you need to not run on Linux or Solaris, or roll your own name service lookup code (or use an alternate libc). I believe some of the *BSDs share your opinion.

Name Service Switch is what underlies all the getfoobybar and getfooent calls. They indirect vi the nss library, which reads /etc/nsswitch.conf, and then dispatches the lookup to the configured backend(s) (files, NIS, LDAP, DNS, ...)

Dynamic linking is here to stay - embrace your shared object overlords ;-)

--
Carson