From:   Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com>
To:     openssl-users@openssl.org
Date:   01/10/2013 10:08 PM
Subject:        Re: How to link openssl FIPS 140-2 object module with openssl
            binary
Sent by:        owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Nayna Jain <naynj...@in.ibm.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jeffrey for the quick response.
>
> I have one more question.
>
> Actually there is also NIST Recommendations document i.e. NIST SP 800-131
> A.
>
> To satisfy the requirements for NIST SP 800-131 A ,
>
> 1.  Do we need to use FIPS Object library module ?
If you are doing business in the Federal arena, you must use validated
cryptography. OpenSSL is one way to get validated cryptography in your
product.

Others include Mocana, Certicom, RSA Data Security, etc. Expect to pay
$20,000 or $30,000 US or so to set the account up, before a single
license is issued ($25,000 was the quote I got a few years ago).

> 2. Do we just need to make sure that we use correct algos /keys from
> standard openssl lib ( without FIPS lib) to satisfy NIST SP 800-131 A
> requirements ?
NIST SP 800-131 speaks to security levels.

Security levels for new Federal systems must offer 112-bits of
security or higher.

You can use a lesser security level to interoperate with existing
systems - such as 80-bits (2-key TDEA, SHA1) - but they are being
phased out.

Below are the algorithms and/or key sizes to achieve the 112-bit
security level. Note: MD5 is tolerated, but only as a PRF in TLS 1.0
and TLS 1.1 (it cannot 'stand alone', or as a digest or hmac in a
negotiated cipher):

  2048 Diffie-Hellman
  2048 RSA
  224-bit Elliptic Curves (Prime Fields)
  233-bit Elliptic Curves (Binary Fields)
  3-key TDEA (3-key Triple DES)
  SHA-224

Related: Suite B algorithms require 128 bits of security. Below are
the algorithms and/or key sizes that offer the security level. Note:
MD5 is completely banned since TLS 1.2 is required:

  3072 Diffie-Hellman
  3072 RSA
  256-bit Elliptic Curves (Prime Fields)
  283-bit Elliptic Curves (Binary Fields)
  AES-128
  SHA-256

So, you have to plug in the required parameters.

Jeff