I'm trying to link an application that will use openssl and fips.

(sorry about any typos and shortcuts.  I have to hand type this because
my development is on a closed system and I can't cut and paste to here)

I'm getting linker errors:

Error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _FIPS_hmac_ctx_cleanup

Error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _FIPS_hmac_final

Error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _FIPS_hmac_update

Plus a few other "unresolved _FIPS_xxx" linkings.

My project is basically the fips_hmac example from Appendix C in the
User Guide with some minor changes to build on MS Visual Studio 2008.

I'm trying to link the DLL, lib32eay.dll.

If I look at the libeay32.map file that gets created, I see those
symbols:

0002:00000e80  _FIPS_hmac_final 0fbbde80 f  fipscanister:hmac.obj

I'm using fipslink.pl to do the linking and set the FIPS variables.

I also build a .mak file using nt.mak as an example.

When I run nmake, my compiler command looks like this:

cl /Fod:\work\ssl\ved\Debug\fips_premain.obj
-ID:\Work\SSL\openssl-fips-2.0.0\inc32 -IO /MD /Ox /O2 /Ob2
-DOPENSSL_THREADS -DDSO_WIN32 -W3 -GX -GS0 -GF -Gy -nologo
-DOPENSSL_SYSNAME_WIN32 -DWIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN -DL_ENDIAN
-D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE -I\usr\local\ssl\fips-2.0\include
-DOPENSSL_USER_APPLINK -I. -DOPENSSL_NO_RRC5 -DOPENSLL_NO_MD2
-DOPENSSL_NO_KRB5 -DOPENSSL_FIPS -DOPENSSL_NO_JPAKE
-DOPENSSL_NO_STATIC_ENGINE /Zl /Zi /Fd/lib -c
\usr\local\ssl\fips-2.0\lib/fips_premain.c

...which compiles with no errors or warnings.  I have 2 other files that
also compile clean (stdafx.cpp and VED.cpp).

My link command (which is inside fipslink.pl) looks like this:

link /nologo /subsystem:console /opt:ref /debug /map /out:Debug\VED.exe
@C:\temp\nma0452

C:\temp\nma0452:

setargv.obj d:\work\ssl\ved\Debug\VED.obj
d:\work\ssl\ved\Debug\stdafx.obj d:\work\ssl\ved\Debug\fips_premain.obj
d:\Work\SSL\openssl-1.0.1c\out32dll\libeay32.lib ws2_32.lib gdi32.lib
advapi32.lib crytp32.bli user32.lib

"openssl version -a" returns

OpenSSL 1.0.1c-fips 10 May 2012

...which I think indicates that I build the fips and openssl correctly.

But, the linker warnings don't make sense to me because it looks like
the symbols are in the linked .lib.

Any ideas why this might not link?

Thanks,

-Jon Evers

Live customer support is available 24/7/365 from the U.S. for all customers
worldwide and locally in other countries. Find out more at www.go2vanguard.com.

Enable Yourself Learn more about Vanguard zSecurity University training classes
offered online, on-demand by request, or in a traditional classroom setting in
cities worldwide. www.go2vanguard.com

This e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the
addressee and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If
you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that
any dissemination of this e-mail or any attachments is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please do not read this email, please
delete all copies of this e-mail and any attachments and notify the sender
immediately. Thank you.