On Sat, Feb 16, 2013, Jeremy Harris wrote:

> On 02/09/2013 12:12 PM, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> >I'm working on an implementation of the client side of OCSP stapling.
> >To verify the stapled information I'm using the chain leading to the
> >server certificate, as presented in the (repeated) verify callbacks for
> >the server cert.
>
> Despite the resounding lack of response I've moved to building
> a fresh store, though still using the verify callbacks.  This is to
> ensure that the exact CA chain used for the server cert is also
> used for the stapling response verification.
>
> Any screams of "you're doing it wrong" before this gets baked
> in to a certain MTA?

There should be a way to get the verified chain back from the SSL structure
unfortunately you can't directly at present.

There are a couple of ways to handle this. If you look through
ssl_verify_cert_chain() you'll see you can pass a callback to handle the
complete verification operation and if this callback isn't defined it calls
X509_verify_cert() instead using similar arguments.

So you could supply an application defined callback that just calls
X509_verify_cert too which keeps the current behaviour. If that call is
successful you can then note the chain for future use using
X509_STORE_CTX_get1_chain().

Steve.