On Thu, Mar 14, 2013, Ewen Chan wrote:

> So this is a partial continuation from the discussion thread that I
> started yesterday in regards to using AES-CBC.
>
> I've got an Intel Core i7 3930K that supports AES-NI and I spent the
> greater part of last night trying to get openssl to work or at least
> recognize it, but it doesn't seem to want to do that.

It it probably recognising it and you don't realise it. OpenSSL 1.0.1
automatically switches to AES-NI at the EVP level without going through an
explicit AES-NI ENGINE.

You can disable AES-NI detection with the environment variable:

OPENSSL_ia32cap=~0x200000200000000

You should see a considerable speed up with "openssl speed" by comparing the
two.

Steve.