I searched the forum and could not find a similar question.

I have a self signed V3 x.509 file (RSA 512 for simplicity)

 X509 *x;
 EVP_PKEY *pk;

  if ((pk=EVP_PKEY_new()) == NULL){
     fprintf(stderr,"err 1\n");
      return(1);
    }
  rsa=RSA_generate_key(512,RSA_F4,NULL,NULL); //callback,NULL);
  if (!EVP_PKEY_assign_RSA(pk,rsa)){
     fprintf(stderr,"err 2\n");
    return 1;
   }
     :
     :
     :

  X509_set_pubkey(x,pk);
     :
     :
  rc= X509_sign(x,pk,EVP_sha1());

I send it to someone who can extract extended attributes.
For best practices my question:
How can this individual verify the x.509? I certainly do not want the
receiving site to have private key; they are not the creator of such
documents
but simply the receiver for data. An excerpt of code would be most
beneficial.