On Fri, Jun 07, 2013, Michael Wild wrote:

> Thanks for all the answers. Now I feel really stupid about forgetting
> the implicit 0...
>
> Stephen: How do I prevent my program from hashing the data?
> EVP_md_null()? After all, hashing a hash is pretty pointless for my case...

It depends on how you want to sign it. The data your program used is the
hexdump of a digest and not the digest itself. You'd first need to convert
that hex into the digest value and then use that digest for the signature.

How you use that digest depends on the format you want to use. It's normal
follow the PKCS#1 standard which packages the digest into a DigestInfo
structure and uses RSA to sign the result. There are several ways to do that.
The easiest is to use the EVP_PKEY API to set the digest algorithm and sign
the result. You can use the corresponding utility pkeyutl to do the same.

Steve.