On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 02:57:15PM +0200, Marios Makassikis wrote:

> By enabling debug information in the program, I was able to obtain
> these error messages:
>
>     pppd[2236]: EAP-TLS SSL error stack:
>     pppd[2236]: error:0D0C5006:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_item_verify:EVP lib
>
> and
>
>     err: 7 (certificate signature failure)

Since you provide very little additional information, a wild guess:

    OpenSSL 1.0.1e support TLSv1.2, while 0.9.8 only TLSv1.

    With TLSv1.2 SHA-2 digests may have been negotiated, and if
    your RSA key size is too small (e.g. 512-bit RSA keys, which
    you should not use by the way, too easy to crack) the key may
    be too small to encrypt a SHA-384 digest.

If you capture the handshake and decode it with wireshark, you'll have
a lot more detail available.  And do make sure your key sizes are all
reasonable.

--
        Viktor.