I see that OPENSSL provides a command for a OSCP and need to create an OSCP
request as a POST or GET.
What source code file creates this request and makes a connection.

Basically an OCSP REQUEST contains the following  fields
documented in RFC6960
   - protocol version  (I assume this is 0 for RFC6960)
   - service request  (seems left open and known by the server you have
implemented)
   - target certificate identifier  (the serial number or an ID)
   - optional extensions, which MAY be processed by the OCSP responder (the
server)

But how is this information formatted for the POST request?

Any pointers to source code would be appreciated. Well not a directory more
or less a
file that actually formats the request. The RFC is not much help other than
the fields known.