*I found the issue and fixed it but that leads to a question of security*
The error is here. The x509 that I want to check I also provide as the
issuer
since it was issued by the same issuer.

  x <== is the X509 loaded

  req->url      = url;
  req->cert     = x;
  req->issuer   = x;

but instead I change this and get a Good code back as a response.
Using root issuer.

  req->url      = url;
  req->cert     = x;
  req->issuer   = issuerRoot; <===

The x509 I want to check is 1000.pem and the issuer file I use is
cacert.pem.

But is having the cacert.pem available for the program secure?
The root certificate I created puts the private away and we use cacert.pem.

*Create CA signing key*
openssl req -new -x509 -days 3650 -extensions v3_ca  -keyout
./demoCA/private/cakey.pem -out ./demoCA/cacert.pem -config myconfig.cnf
-batch  -passout pass:password

*Just want to make sure there are no mistakes here.*