On Fri, Jul 26, 2013, Perrow, Graeme wrote:

> If I do "openssl x509 -in mycert.crt -text" I see "Signature Algorithm:
> sha1WithRSAEncryption". There's no mention of MD5 here but since OpenSSL is
> attempting to load it, I assume it's using the MD5-SHA1 combination. If that
> *is* permitted, why am I getting the "disabled for FIPS" error?

The "traditional" algorithm used to encrypt private keys uses MD5 for key
derivation. This is not a permitted FIPS usage so it is banned in FIPS mode.

If you create a private key in FIPS mode (which you should do anyway) it will
use the more standard PKCS#8 format which uses SHA1 for key derivation and
will work fine.

Steve.