I obtained a NAS, with a view toward running MySQL on a sever running
MS Small Business Server 2003 (yes, I know, it is old, but I don't
have authority to upgrade it or wipe it and install Linux on it).
Anyway, the latest version of MySQL will not run on that machine.
Therefore, I intend to run MySQL on the latest Suse (12.3) on a much
newer server that I have almost fixed (this machine will have a 256 GB
SSD).  So, unless I can mount the NAS in such a way that MySQL on Suse
can find it, the 4 TB NAS goes to waste (even though all machines on
my LAN can see it and browse to it, which is fine if I only want to
use Windows Explorer, or it's Linux equivalents, to copy files to it -
but even on Windows, MySQL doesn't seem to see it unless I have mapped
a specific MAS folder to a local drive letter, so I assume something
similar is true on Linux).  Hence my question.

NB: I am a programmer, not a system administrator, so I am at a loss
as to how to do this.
NB: I did a Google search, which resulted in a very poor signal to
noise ratio, but ended up confused by the different instructions given
for the different distributions.  And, worse, a lot of the pages I
found were as old as that ancient SBS machine I can't use for this
purpose.  Obviously, things have changes a lot since then.

So, then, how do I do this on the latest Suse releases (12.x)?

Thanks

Ted