I have some doubts on understanding the difference between extensions
and reqexts args used in the req command. I have this openssl.cnf
file. Using this I want to generate a certificate for client (extended
key usage=clientAuth) and one for server(extended key usage =
serverAuth).

However, when I run a command like this, it does not seem to be
considering the [client_ext] section but only what is under
req_extensions. Can someone explain ?

openssl req -new -newkey rsa:1024 -keyout clientcomp.key -nodes -out
clientcomp.csr -extensions client_ext -config ./openssl.cnf

//cat openssl.cnf
[v3_ca]
basicConstraints = critical,CA:true
keyUsage = digitalSignature, cRLSign, keyCertSign

[ client_ext ]
basicConstraints = CA:false
keyUsage =
critical,digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
nsCertType = client
extendedKeyUsage = clientAuth
nsComment = "OpenSSL-generated client authentication certificate"
subjectKeyIdentifier = hash
authorityKeyIdentifier = keyid:always, issuer:always

[req]
distinguished_name = req_distinguished_name
req_extensions = v3_req

[ req_distinguished_name ]
countryName                     = Country Name (2 letter code)
countryName_min                 = 2
countryName_max                 = 2
stateOrProvinceName             = State or Province Name (full name)
localityName                    = Locality Name (eg, city)
0.organizationName              = Organization Name (eg, company)
organizationalUnitName          = Organizational Unit Name (eg, section)
commonName                      = Common Name (eg, YOUR name)
commonName_max                  = 64

[ v3_req ]
# Extensions to add to a certificate request