Peter,

you give valid exceptions, that's why I said usually. Those exceptions all
serve to identiy the subject. It doesn't matter how these infos reach the CA,
be it in-band or out-of-band. And it shouldn't matter how the request encodes
that information in case the info is given in-band.

The CA issues certificates conforming to a specific certificate profile. If the
CA issues different types of certificates, it has a certificate profile for
each type. The requestor can only choose between the types, ie. client or
server cert, but not choose the structure of the certificate.

Since a certificate is complex, PKI-knowledge is rare and the CA is liable for
it, I don't think that letting your customers determine extensions or their
criticality is a good idea. Furthermore, the CA's QA wouldn't be able to
validate that their system works as expected and issues sound certificates that
conform to PKIX or some other profile.

Patrick Eisenacher