Yes, very possible.  What language are you using?

I use Perl, and there's a CPAN module called Net::SSLeay that provides Perl
wrappers for all the OpenSSL functions.  That module also includes a simple
example client, which you can see at
http://search.cpan.org/~mikem/Net-SSLeay-1.55/lib/Net/SSLeay.pod#EXAMPLES .
 Because these functions are wrappers, the C version would be roughly the
same sequence.

I have other sample clients and servers; ask if you need any more.  The
OpenSSL site documents each C function, which are named the same as the
Perl functions in the example above.

Cheers,
James