<snip>
> I've tried doing that with no success so far, most likely due my lack of
> understanding of how to set up policy sections in the config file (among
> other things).

The policy section(s) is only for issuing certs with 'ca'.
Your problem is creating the request, well before that.

> The basic failure I'm getting is demonstrated by the information at the
> link below. It shows the 'openssl' command line, the error output from
> it, and the openssl.cnf file used.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipjtp1fmhd1p4mz/opensslcnf.txt

The new_oids functionality is generic for pretty much all functions that
use a config file, unlike other config items which are function-specific.
Thus the oid_section pointer must be in the 'default' section -- i.e.
at the top of the config file before the first [sectname] divider.

If you use 'ca' you do also need to fix up a policy (either a provided
one, or one you create) unless you specify preserve=yes in which case
it will use the RDNs from the request even if not in policy. If you use
'x509 -req' there is no policy and it uses the name from the request.

Small warning: 'req' and if used 'ca' a use a file and can get added OIDs.
If you display the resulting cert(s) with 'x509 -text' that does not use
any config file and thus must display the OIDs in numeric form.