On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:35:40 +0200
Jakob Bohm <jb-open...@wisemo.com> wrote:

> On 4/10/2014 6:23 AM, Dedhia, Pratik wrote:
> > Hi Team,
> >
> > I’m trying to upgrade OpenSSL to 1.0.1g version from 1.0.1f version
> > to resolve security issue but getting error while restarting Apache
> > server.
> >
> > Below are the steps of OpenSSL upgradation:
> >
> > 1.Extracted the tarball downloaded from OpenSSL site using command
> > “tar xzvf openssl-1.0.1g.tar.gz”
> >
> > 2.Changed directory to openssl-1.0.1g
> >
> > 3.Executed “./config --prefix=/usr/local/application/openssl/
> > enable-shared –fPIC” command to compile openssl
> >
> > 4.Executed make clean command after successful execution of step 3
> >
> > 5.Executed make command
> >
> > 6.Executed make install command
> >
> > 7.Changed directory to extracted httpd-2.4.7
> >
> > 8.Executed “./configure --prefix=/usr/local/application/apache
> > --enable-rewrite --enable-proxy --enable-so
> > --with-ssl=/usr/local/application/openssl --enable-ssl
> > --with-pcre=/usr/local/application/pcre” to compile apache with
> > upgraded OpenSSL.
> >
> > 9.Executed make clean command after successful execution of step 8
> >
> > 10.Executed make command
> >
> > 11.Executed make install command
> >
> > 12.After successful execution of above step tried to stop the apache
> > with “sudo /usr/local/application/apache/bin/apachectl stop” command
> >
> > On execution of step 12 getting below error:
> >
> > httpd: Syntax error on line 125 of
> > /usr/local/application/apache/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load
> > modules/mod_ssl.so into server: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared
> > object file: No such file or directory
> >

> "make install" (step 11) should have created that file
> (libssl.so.1.0.0) in /usr/local/lib otherwise you don't have the fixed
> code.
>
> Please check that your user account has write access
> to /usr/local/lib, or that make install was run as root (either
> should do it).
>

> Enjoy
>
> Jakob

IF you install openssl into prefix=/usr/local/application/openssl, the
lib should not end up in /usr/local/lib, it will be
in /usr/local/application/openssl/lib

However. This error is complaining about missing module in Apache.

You should also switch the order of
11, 12... Do 12 first, then 11. (actually maybe good to do 12 before
1). At this point you might need to a) reboot or b) kill the httpd
processes.Installing on top of running server process can cause weird
and potentially risky stuff to happen, especially for people visiting
the web site. IT's just a good idea to shut it off before install.

Waitman Gobble