Am 29.04.14 10:28, schrieb Tim Hudson:
Bug reports on EBCDIC with patches are definitely interesting as there
is an active community of OpenSSL z/OS users - at the very least the
other users will benefit from any work you have already done.

I can provide bug reports, but at the moment I cannot promise that I can come up with corresponding patches as well.

I did some research in the OpenSSL mailing list archives, and from that I have the impression that there's little activity from OpenSSL z/OS users over the last few years. Are there other places where you see the "active community of OpenSSL z/OS users"?

For the broader context I think you'll find the issue for handling such
platforms will usually be the typical one of regular platform access.
Checking, adjusting, and confirming patches which are platform specific
that are non-trivial basically requires access to the platform.

One thing to consider is if you (or anyone else) is able to provide
permanent (or semi-permanent) access (via ssh) to a z/OS platform with
USS installed that places the user into a standard shell environment
with the compilers accessible.

I'm sorry, but I can't help with platform access, as we only have a z/OS development system for porting our software, not even a real zSeries machine.

I would expect that IBM itself should be interested in a working OpenSSL port for zSeries. We have a very old version of OpenSSL on our system that we downloaded from the IBM website in the past. This version is for example able to print out certificates correctly.

Today the IBM website about open source software available for z/OS point to openssl.org for getting OpenSSL:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/features/unix/bpxa1ty1.html

"The free unsupported version of OpenSSL previously offered here is no longer available. Instead, we refer you to the functionally equivalent version available from the official OpenSSL project website."

If someone from IBM is reading this, please consider the request by Tim for access to a z/OS platform.

Stephan