There is no single OID for Extended Validation.  The members of CA/Browser
Forum (CABF) define their own, and then petition the browsers for EV
acceptance.  The browsers then add the root certificate to their internal
EV tables, along with the OID they use for EV.

Since OpenSSL does not include root certificates (and does not operate its
own root program), it has no means of knowing whether any given root can be
trusted for EV, or what that root's defined EV OID might be.

The CABF doesn't provide a single platform or source for validation,
auditing, or enforcement.  Everything is related to the browser members,
which themselves are only approached for extended capabilities if they
already have enough market share.  This creates an "old-boy's club" that
can't easily be broken into.

iOS has its own certificate store, if I remember correctly.  Perhaps Apple
has a means to check the EV status of a root certificate and all of its
intermediaries, as well as the end-entity.

n.b. The rules for verifying and validating EV certificates are complex.
They can be derived from (not specifically found in) the Extended
Validation specification, from CABF.  When last I looked several years ago,
there were OCSP checking, certificate policy chain checking, individual
certificate validity constraints on top of X.509/PKIX overlapping validity
constraints, and several other things that I can't even recall.

-Kyle H

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM, Steve Behrendt <steve.behre...@netlight.com