On Fri, 23 May 2014 16:32:15 +0000
Viktor Dukhovni <openssl-us...@dukhovni.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 06:11:05PM +0200, nicolas....@free.fr wrote:
>
> > use at the very least TLSv1 (and preferably TLSv1_2) protocol if
> > you want to use SSLv23_server_method(), don't forget to disable
> > SSLv2 and 3 protocols (and maybe TLSv1) with the command
> >
> > SSL_CTX_set_options(ctx, SSL_OP_NO_SSLv2|SSL_OP_NO_SSLv3);
>
> Typically, leaving SSLv3 enabled is just fine if both ends support
> something stronger they'll negotiate that.

That's not always true.

Some clients (e.g. all common browsers) do fallbacks that in fact
can invalidate all improvements of later tls versions.

These fallbacks also can happen by accident (e.g. bad connections) and
sometimes disable features like SNI.

That's why I recommend to everyone that we need at least to deprecate
SSLv3.

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/