Hi,

I am looking for advice for an application using openssl, but it's not an
openssl problem.

We have a situation where an external company has provided us with
authentication certificates from a subCA and we have all the cert's back up to
the root - openssl verify works fine. Another application we use refuses to
accept the subCA certificate - it is throwing an error because there is no
subject and serial number in the Authority Key ID Extension, though there is a
[valid] key ID.

It is my assertion that the issuer name / serial name are optional within this
extension so the application stating that this certificate is invalid is
incorrect (though they may have further reasons for requiring this if they
can't handle KID's, but I think they can).

rfc5280

4.2.1.1.  Authority Key Identifier

   The authority key identifier extension provides a means of
   identifying the public key corresponding to the private key used to
   sign a certificate.  This extension is used where an issuer has
   multiple signing keys (either due to multiple concurrent key pairs or
   due to changeover).  The identification MAY be based on either the
   key identifier (the subject key identifier in the issuer's
   certificate) or the issuer name and serial number.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Carl