On 7/3/2014 2:25 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:
Would the project consider moving to C99

Yes, we are.  We're trying to figure out platform and toolchain issues.
(Platform is the operating system and hardware, and toolchain is like gcc or
clang, for those who don't know.)

I think moving to c99 is an obvious thing to do :)

        /r$

Please be aware that several target platforms do not have working
C99 compilers, and some probably never will.  Microsoft platforms
probably have the least up to date compilers amongst major
platforms, while minor platforms may be stuck with whatever gcc
or CPU vendor compiler was current at its time of inception.

It will probably be at least another 5 to 10 years before widely
used libraries such as OpenSSL can switch to C99 without loosing
users by the wayside.  This is because many compiler vendors
(including gcc) are only now (in 201x) approaching working C99
support in their bleeding edge compilers, and there is a typical
5 to 10 year delay between that happening and the majority of
platforms using an equivalent compiler as their system compiler.

The previous posters claims about initializing all variables is
equally possible in C90.  However his dead-code elimination
assumption will probably only be true for major CPU/platform
target combinations, because minor platforms often suffer from
missing or buggy optimizers as a rule of thumb.  Thus once again,
portability implies that overreliance on compilers being state
of the art is not portable.

Also note that the need to link actual application code to OpenSSL
(or any other portable library) significantly limits the choice
of compiler to those that produce compatible .o files to those
produced and used by the application linker.

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  http://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2730 Herlev, Denmark.  Direct +45 31 13 16 10