You could try examining both PEM-encoded certificates using an ASN.1
decoder, such as the one here - http://lapo.it/asn1js

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org
[mailto:owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org] On Behalf Of Barbe, Charles
Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2014 8:42 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Certificate problem

I'm having a problem with generating certificates and I'm wondering if
anybody has any suggestions on where to look.

I have the following certificates and associated private keys:

A - certificate A generated with one version of my software not using
openssl B - certificate B generated with a new version of my software that
does use openssl CA - a local certificate authority whose private key is
used to sign both A and B

I can verify both A and B using openssl verify using CA as the cafile
argument.

However, when I install CA on a client and try to connect a web browser to
my server running the two different versions of software, they complain that
they cannot find the issuer with A but not with B.

I have examined both certificates and cannot find anything different about
them. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that B used openssl to
generate the certificate and A used our own custom software. The odd thing
to me is that openssl verify can verify both just fine. What are the web
browsers doing different? I've tried chrome, Firefox and opera and all
behave the same... Accepting B and rejecting A.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to look to figure this out? A
tool to use?

I realize that actually attaching the certa might be helpful but I do not
have them handy as I write this. Please let me know if that might help
somebody help me figure this out.

Thanks!