https://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/EVP_DigestInit.html

The doc states the default default digest implementation is used if
'impl' is NULL. The docs also state "OpenSSL 1.0 and later does not
include the MD2 digest algorithm in the default configuration...".

I found the call to EVP_DigestInit which calls EVP_DigestInit_ex. But
I'm getting lost in EVP_DigestInit_ex:

    if(impl)
    {
    }
    else
    {
        /* Ask if an ENGINE is reserved for this job */
        impl = ENGINE_get_digest_engine(type->type);
    }

I'm having trouble tracking down 'type' used by ENGINE_get_digest_engine.

What is the default digest implementation for 1.0 and later? Or where
can I find the source file that sets the default?