On 09/10/2014 08:17, dE wrote:
Hi!

I'm trying to make a certificate chain using the following commands --

openssl genpkey -out issuer.key -algorithm rsa
openssl genpkey -out intermediate.key -algorithm rsa
openssl req -new -key issuer.key -out issuer.csr
openssl req -new -key intermediate.key -out intermediate.csr
openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in issuer.csr -signkey issuer.key -out issuer.pem openssl x509 -req -days 360 -in intermediate.csr -CA issuer.pem -CAkey issuer.key -CAcreateserial -out intermediate.pem

After importing issuer.key to chrome/FF when I try to import intermediate.pem, I get errors. Namely --

"This is not a certificate authority certificate, so it can't be imported into the certificate authority list." from FF and "intermediate: Not a Certification Authority" from Chrome.

Other intermediate certificates as provided by websites work fine.
Make sure your intermediary certificate is marked as a CA in its
x509 properties as signed by issuer.  Otherwise, you have just
created an ordinary certificate issued directly by issuer.

To check this look at the output from

   openssl x509 -noout -text -in intermediate.pem

and compare to the result from an intermediary certificate that
works.  The important lines are those that say "CA" or
"Certificate" in their text.

For example, here are some values from an intermediary certificate
from GlobalSign (omitting specifics and using example URLs):

        X509v3 extensions:
            X509v3 Key Usage: critical
                Certificate Sign, CRL Sign
            X509v3 Basic Constraints: critical