I just realised I can create a RSA_METHOD object and set that in my engine.

But what about ECDSA_ENGINE?

There is no struct definition available in the public headers, and no
public functions to change the members of the struct, e.g. set a new
signing function.

Is this not possible with ECDSA?

Warm regards,
Fredrik