On 10/16/2014 10:41 AM, Salz, Rich wrote:
Note that the CVE identifier was assigned to the SSL 3.0 protocol issue
related to CBC padding.  The new SCSV does not help with that at all.

What?  It prevents silently falling back to the broken protocol.

Perhaps we can keep this battle-thread just in the TLS WG mail?

It's unrelated to the TLS WG discussion. MITRE has assigned the CVE name to the SSL 3.0 protocol issue, specifically:

“The SSL protocol 3.0, as used in OpenSSL through 1.0.1i and other products, uses nondeterministic CBC padding, which makes it easier for man-in-the-middle attackers to obtain cleartext data via a padding-oracle attack, aka the "POODLE" issue.”

<http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-3566>

Securing fallback is a workaround, but does not address the issue. You are still vulnerable if you use SSL 3.0 directly (because one of the peers supports only that), even if both peers implement SCSV. The proper fix comes with TLS 1.0+, and OpenSSL has implemented a transparent protocol upgrade for a long time. Don't be shy—you fixed POODLE before it was discovered, which is great!

I had already asked for assignment of a separate CVE for the insecure browser fallback, but I was told that MITRE does not consider *that* a vulnerability because it is expected, documented behavior. This means that fallback-SCSV-related patches do not fix any CVE-named vulnerability, and certainly not CVE-2014-3566.

Again, this is not related to the question whether the fallback SCSV is a good idea. It is a procedural issue with CVE naming.

Curiously, we recently had the same problem with the bash prefix/suffix patch, which did not fix any concrete CVE-named vulnerability, either. It is confusing, and I think it shows a limitation of the CVE authority file in the light of its current applications.